Most people have heard of the 5 W's and the H way of asking open questions:
"The wise man doesn't give the right answers, he poses the right questions"
However there is another way using TED:
- Tell me what happened
- Tell us how you produced that report
- Tell me about something that went well this year
- Explain what the customer said when they phoned
- Explain your idea for improving the system
- Explain what you mean
- Describe what you would like to see as a solution
- Describe how you would solve the problem
- Describe the customer's attitude when they came in this morning
One manager who attended our training said a week later that he had been 'tedding' all week!