Santa is a marketing and sales generating expert and you can become one too, if you follow his proven practice building methods.
What's that you say? You don't believe in Santa Claus or you don't celebrate Christmas?
It's true that Santa may be mostly mythical, but ask almost anybody who Santa is and what he does, and they'll tell you. There are millions of young children who are convinced he's real! So put your doubts about Santa aside for a moment and take a look at why he's so good at marketing and generating sales.
Knows How to Be Unique
Whether it is his trademark red suit, his unconventional transportation, his belly laugh, or his occupation, Santa is, well, different. He's one of a kind, which makes him memorable.
Has a Memorable Catch Phrase
Ever hear, "Ho, Ho, Ho"? It's simple, short and everyone knows it. Put it together with the sound of jingle bells and almost anyone can tell when he is coming down the street (though currently we've seen him on more fire engines than sleighs).
Gets Free Publicity
Santa is a master at getting free press. He's in the media constantly during the winter holidays. A plethora of songs, movies, and books have been written about him, not to mention he's on wrapping paper and is a featured lawn ornament. (Not sure you should use the last 2 ideas.)
Is Customer Focused
While everyone knows about Santa, his marketing isn't focused on his credentials. He rarely talks about how long he's been in business, his degrees, nor does he bore people with long discussions of his work processes. Instead, he makes a huge effort to learn what his customers want.
It is estimated that each year over a million letters are sent to Santa. Santa supplements this effort by appearing in thousands of shopping malls around the country, listening to an average of nine thousand children per mall. He does all this just to learn what his customers want.
Gives Something Away For Free
While most of the presents under the tree are from family, including the annual fruitcake from Aunt Bernice, typically, at our house, at least one gift bears Santa's name.
How can you not love someone who gives so many presents away each year and whose only expectation is a couple of cookies and a glass of milk?
Knows What He Is Selling
Santa knows what he is selling, and it's not just games and toys. Santa sells hope, whether it is for the latest video game, a warm sweater, or happiness.
How can you market your business more like Santa Claus and generate record sales like those that Santa does?
1. Clarify how you and your business are unique, and what it is that separates you from the crowd. You don't need to put on a red suit or slide down chimneys. Define yourself by the problems you solve, the expertise you provide, and what your people say about you.
2. Get media attention for your business, not just during holidays but all year round. Sometimes imaginative stunts like appearing in a sleigh help.
3. Ask your prospects what they want and then provide services and products that give them what they've asked for. The better you understand their concerns, the better services, or products you'll provide.
4. Give something away for free. It could be an article, a confidential report, access to a video, or even a cartoon parable (our best marketing tool ever). Use your freebie to prompt people to contact you and demonstrate your expertise. It works for Santa and it can work for you.
5. Know what you are selling. Your products and services bring in the money, but what do they stand for? What do they represent to your customers/clients? Sell your prospects on achieving their goals, dreams, and deliver with tangible results they can appreciate.
Whether or not you celebrate Christmas, market your business like Santa and you, too, can have many happy customers/clients this and every season, without having to squeeze down a single, sooty chimney.
John D. Allen