Remember when ‘doctors said’ eggs were bad for us? Butter would kill us but margarin was safe? Coffee was poison? Beef would clog our hearts. Well, they were wrong then and makes me wonder if they are right or wrong now. Who sponsored their studies? What was the motive behind the study? Are pesticides safe? Are additives and preservatives in meats safe? Are agribusiness methods that differ greatly from the way God (or ‘nature’ if you are an unbeliever) made things?
To be productive, that is, have a real ‘value-add’ we need to be alive, right? To stay alive, we need to stop believing all the junk we read and trust our own brains. What happens in mice and monkeys may not apply to people. Small studies can be undependable.
FACTS: (Current facts from some rather large studies of 2,500 to 60,000 subjects as well as detailed lab work)
1) Eggs are great sources of selenium (from the yolk) and protein (egg whites are one of the purest and best sources of protein). Free range eggs (chickens running around eating bugs, worms and seeds) are best with an Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio of just 3 to 1. Grain fed chickens give us a 36 to 1 ratio. (Do you think chickens were designed to sit all day eating corn in the dark?)
Disclaimer: Check with your doctor before changing your diet)
2) Butter (1 pat) has 36 calories, 2/3 are from saturated fat and the other 1/3 from ‘healthier’ fats. This small amount isn’t going to kill us (again check with your doctor before changing your diet). Most margarin is loaded with trans fats which CLOG our arteries and NO AMOUNT of trans fat is good. ZERO TOLERANCE! (read labels and avoid anything ‘partially hydrogenated’)
3) Coffee is now associated with lowering the possibility of contracting many cancers, boosting memory, staving off Alzheimer’s, Diabetes and Parkinson’s Disease. (I did not say magically CURE these diseases… just help prevent or slow them)
4) Beef can kill you… if you get gored by a bull. Too much of ANYTHING… even water, can be bad for us. However, grass fed beef has the same Omega 3s in the marbled area as salmon. The ratio of Omega 6 to 3 is 3 to 1 just like free range chicken eggs… HEALTHY! Our muscles can benefit from beef’s protein and help weight lifter’s recover faster from workouts.
In grain fed beef where cows stand in a barn all day and eat grain, the Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio goes to 20 to 1. Is it natural for cows to stand still, be force-fed corn and shot full of growth hormones or to walk around and eat the grass on the plains?
New studies show it is dangerous to over-cook beef. Rare beef (not minced meat which must be cooked well done) is healthiest. Well done and particularly ‘burnt’ meat can be a contributing factor in stomach cancers. Slow cooking is better than searing and quick cook methods. Avoid deep fried ‘anything’.
8 Healthy Eating Suggestions:
1) Eat a balanced diet. Avoid ‘white rice’, ‘white bread’ or other processed grains. Start the day with complex carbs, which fill us up, turn off the ‘hunger centre’ in the brain and the fibre keeps us regular.
2) 3 to 5 servings of veggies, well washed and ideally organic.
3) 3 to 5 servings of fruits. Organic is best, particularly for children. Go organic with fruits which absorb pesticides like grapes, apples and most berries. Bananas, papayas and melons are usually safe.
4) Enjoy 1 or 2 servings of rare or medium rare beef or chicken a day.
5) Eggs cooked but not over cooked 3 to 5 days week. If you have major cholesterol problems, monitor before and after eating eggs with your doctor’s approval. Try a handful of raw almonds with your eggs. They have the same effect for many people as expensive statins.
6) Cook your eggs in a pat of butter, pure olive oil or boil / poach them.
7) Enjoy your coffee! Just make sure it is filtered through a paper filter. The oil in ‘French Press’ coffee and many ‘designer coffees’ where no paper filter is used will raise havoc with your heart and arteries.
8) Enjoy life! What if you live 5 years longer by eating a highly restricted diet but do not enjoy the 80 years that come before? In my opinion, it would be a wasted life. Just don’t throw away 20 years of life by living on junk and ‘fast food’.
Be productive. Eat well. Eat in moderation. Eat the best of what life has to offer. Face it. None of us get out of this world alive!
Smile Maker of the week: Bumper Stickers in the USA
- The more you complain, the longer God makes you live.
- Hang up and drive.
- Don’t drink and drive…You might hit a bump and spill your drink.
- Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?
- Save the whales. Collect the whole set.
- I feel like I’m diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
I was struck by the quotation I received from my son’s rugby coach. I suspect it will have the same effect on you.
“Do more than belong: participate.
Do more than care: help.
Do more than believe: practice.
Do more than be fair: be kind.
Do more than forgive: forget.
Do more than dream: work.”
William Arthur Ward (1921 – 1994)
Dedicated scholar, author of Fountains of Faith, editor, pastor and teacher
Michael Podlinsky CSP