Give your people a break every now and again - ease up - take your eye OFF the bottom line for even one hour a month and see what happens. You could be pleasantly surprised.
Meetings and happy hours are the ideal place to introduce something fun and/or unusual:
1. Make one of your regular meetings a FUN only meeting - each team member has to bring a funny story or a joke - have a small prize for the funniest.
2. Have an icebreaker at the beginning of meetings - something like - ask each person to write one thing about themselves that no-one in the team knows - put all the entries into a hat - pull them out one by one - people have to guess who did what.
3. Liven up your monthly happy hour by showing a 10 - 15minute John Cleese video or other funny clip.
4. Invite a motivational speaker to a happy hour every now and again
5. Make one of your happy hours a sing-along - each team to sing a song!
6. Have a game of Pictionary
7. Have a quiz night
8. Funniest hat night
9. Most original outfit made out of paper, cellotape and paper clips night
10. Take EVERYONE offsite once a year for a whole day. Shut down the office. Put phones over the answer service and go somewhere...the beach, the countryside, the movies whatever. DON'T TALK ABOUT WORK.
I promise you, your people need a break and the very best way to destress is to LAUGH.